Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Scene #3 Part a - Song #3-Three-Day Blues / #4 MN Blues

Scene 3


Catfish, dreaming, finds himself in a large storage space.  Records, eight tracks and CDs are arranged on the shelves of two large gray metal racks. One of the racks is much fuller than the other.  The emptier of the two is twisted, as if it had once almost collapsed under a great strain. A mop and a broom are in one corner of the space, though it has only recently been used as a broom closet. The handle of the mop leans on the glass frame of a gold record. There is a large poster of the Beatles on the wall, which has been written upon, possibly autographed.  Two old phonographs players are in the room.  One is much older, with a horn speaker and a hand crank, for playing 78’s.  The other is boxy, with a cheap vinyl surface, for playing 45’s.  A light bulb hangs down on a cord.

Catfish:What a Shit hole
(there is a brief pause)

I’m not leaving
(another brief pause)

Fine, I’ll wait
(selects a 78,admires it, and carefully puts it on the turntable, and cranks it up)


[hear Song #3 "Three Day Blues" on this YouTube link - I hired John Black to record
this song, but like all the songs in this play, I am exclusive owner of all rights,
copyrighted 2010] 



Song #3 –Three Day Blues

Come home sick and tired
sun be burning my back all day
woman be there waiting
she say “honey, where’s the pay?”
I look down at the dirt
she say “We aint had bread for three days”
i say woman stop this nagging,
can’t you just go away?
she say “honey what’s the problem?
i will understand,
I will always be your woman,
baby, you my man”
i  look down at the dirt
she say “we aint had bread for three days”
i say woman stop this nagging
up and walk away

 [solo]

WELL Ol’ Jim had a bOttle
and i took eight, nine hit
come home sloppy drunk, that woman just waiting
to throw a fit
she say “Lord this a fine sight!
we aint had bread for three days
i say woman stop this naggin’
can’t you just…..go away?

 (lifts the phonograph needle) 

Catfish: Yeh, they don’t write like that anymore

Carefully puts the record back in it’s liner, then into the album and back on top of the chaotic pile of albums, but Catfish treats it like it’s a Fabrege egg

Picks up a 45 LP, and speechless, admires it.  He plugs in the second phonograph, puts the record on the turntable , and carefully puts the needle arm down.  Then he leans back and closes his eyes, smiling as he hears the static at the start of the record

[hear Song #4 "Minnesota Blues" on this YouTube link - I hired John Black to record
this song, but like all the songs in this play, I am exclusive owner of all rights,
copyrighted 2010] 



Song #4 - The Minnesota Blues

I went back to the city, in my worn out shoes
Out on the main street, where people walk in twos
I was just a looking, couldn’t win or lose
‘Cuz I was alone with the Minnesota blues.

(Catfish pick up an electric guitar and plays and sings along to the record, soon all that is heard is Catfish’s live version)

with so many choices, you kind of hate to choose
i could say i have my reasons, but it may be a ruse
‘cuz i can’t shake this feeling that i can’t win or lose
when i am alone with the Minnesota blues.

yeh, back in that ol’ city, back where i paid my dues,
blowing through the alley, like yesterday’s news
never coming back here, whether I win or lose
couldn’t stand to be alone with the minnesota blues

(Picks up the phonograph needle and puts back record)
Catfish: Good shit Maynard (pause)
So you aint talking to me, huh. OK, I can wait


 

No comments:

Post a Comment